Here’s a list of essentials that you will always find in my fridge and freezer.
You may be quite surprised to see that I keep quite a few ‘pre-prepared’ items in my freezer! There is nothing wrong with using a few timesaving ingredients when you are busy. A couple of handfuls of frozen onion to start off a risotto on a busy weeknight is not only super-fast, but there’s less mess too. Dismiss at your peril!
With the rise of convenience stores over the last 10 years I tend not to keep as much meat or fish in my freezer as I used to. I now buy what I need for the week ahead or I just pick it up fresh on my way home from work.
My Fridge Essentials
- Cremé fraiche
- Natural Greek yoghurt
- Cheddar cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Feta cheese (great as it lasts ages)
- Lemons (Tip – Lemons last a good couple of weeks in the fridge – just warm for 20 seconds in a moderate microwave if you’re going to juice them for lots more juice!)
My Freezer Essentials
- Chopped onions – A perfect base for risottos, soups and casseroles.
- Bolognaise/base mix – A mixture of finely chopped onion, celery and carrots and is available in most larger supermarkets.
- Peas – who doesn’t have frozen peas?
- Mashed potato – fantastic for mash in a hurry, or topping fish or shepherd’s pies.
- Frozen garlic, ginger & chilli.
- Chopped soft herbs – parsley and basil.
- Grated cheddar cheese – quick for adding to sauces, mash and topping pasta bakes.
- Frozen king prawns, raw or cooked is fine.
- Rolled puff pastry – creates an impressive savoury or sweet tart.
- Ciabatta – delicious pizza slices or the yummiest croutons for soups or salads.
Fridge Freezer Safety
For details of how long food is safe in your fridge freezer, the article https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygiene/chilling may be useful.
You might also be interested in my Storecupboard essentials: http://yummymummycooks.co.uk/storecupboard-essentials/