Here’s a list of items that you will find in my fridge and freezer every week without fail. You may be surprised at some of the ‘pre-prepared’ items I have in my freezer; but when life is busy they are great timesavers and shouldn’t be dismissed. A couple of handfuls of frozen onions to start off a risotto on a busy weeknight is not only super-fast, but there’s less mess too.
- Cremé fraiche
- Natural Greek yoghurt
- Cheddar cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Lemons (Tip – Lemons last a good couple of weeks in the fridge – just warm for 20 seconds in a moderate microwave if you’re going to juice them for lots more juice!)
- Frozen Garlic, Ginger & Chilli – Alternatively you could use jars of paste if you prefer
- Chopped Soft Herbs – Parsley & Basil are perfect
- Chopped onions – A perfect base for risottos, soups and casseroles
- Bolognaise/base mix – this is a mixture of finely chopped onion, celery & carrot
- Peas – who doesn’t have frozen peas?
- Mashed potato – Fantastic for mash in a hurry, or topping fish or shepherd’s pie
- Diced butternut squash – Delicious for soups or casseroles
- Grated cheddar cheese – Quick for adding to sauces, mash and topping pasta bakes
- Rolled puff pastry – Creates an impressive savoury or sweet tart
- Ciabatta rolls – Delicious pizza slices or the yummiest croutons for soups or salads